A call center is an office set up to handle a volume of phone calls, especially providing customer services and taking orders. A call center defined as a centralized office used for transmitting or receiving a large volume of inquiries through telephone calls. The most common type of call center is the inbound call center operated by a group or company administering incoming service or product support or data inquiries from consumers.
Definition of a call center
A physical office equipped to handle an extensive volume of telephone calls for a company, such as:
- Marketing firm
- Providing customer service
Call centers have agents who work to receive or answer customers’ questions and solve their concerns over the phone or through other means of communication. These agents may ask customers questions, arrange things like insurance, or take orders. The whole experience and nature of these call centers have changed over the last few years.
Work in a call center
If you need a call center, you need to know first the right one you need. Be sure that you are in great hands first before giving it a try. To gain a deeper understanding of the work of a call center, read through this article. Here, you will learn about the different facts about call centers, including:
- Descriptions of different roles
- Skills required
- Pros and cons of the job
Types of call centers
Call centers have three main types:
- Virtual. It is often called cloud-based call centers. These agents can operate both nationally and internationally without office facilities. The only requirements to do the job are to have a stable internet connection and a device to access the web, not necessarily a phone.
- Inbound. They work by using agents who take customers’ calls.
- Outbound. Agents make calls and reach out to existing or potential customers. It is commonly associated with:
- Customer surveys
- Other promotional activities
Call centers can also be classified as outsourced or in-house.
The work in the call center is non-specific. A lot of different job positions are in line with this work. All required skills and encompass various responsibilities. If you consider working in a call center, you have got an idea about the kind of position best for you. Possible descriptions of your work are:
- Call center manager
- Team leader
- Quality assurance
- Technical support agent
- Customer service representative
These are the possible job descriptions in a call center.